Friday, July 13, 2012

House of Cards Shoot

So, today I was supposed to be an extra in the new Netflix series "House of Cards" starring Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright, and Kate Mara.

Kevin Spacey

Robin Wright

Kate Mara

But yesterday, when I went onto the casting company's website to check the call times and find my name and check-in number (as instructed) my name was not listed. In a panic, I emailed the casting company just double checking that I was still working the next day and had all the correct information. I received an email back in minutes from the woman I had spoken to on the phone that morning. She said she had left me a voicemail and wanted to know if I could work Wednesday instead of Friday. So I hurriedly leaned closer to window to pick up a signal to check my messages on my cell phone (no daggum service out here in the boonies lol). The message said "The production loved your look and they thought you were beautiful however, they think you're a little bit too pretty to do the scenes on Friday and so they would like you to do a scene with Kate Mara on Wednesday instead." WOOHOO! haha. I never thought I'd ever be "too pretty" for anything. Kinda thought it'd be the other way around. lol. I've never had super high self confidence - I mean I know I was blessed with some good looks and nice eyes but... jeez. lol. Anyways, so I was told to call back on Friday (today) to get more information. 
So I called this morning and was told that "the producer and director liked me but thought I would take away from Robin Wright if I was in the scene on Friday." WHAT? ha. Alrighty then. I don't think there's any way anyone could detract from the Princess Bride, but I'll take it. lol. I was told I would be working as a reporter with Kate Mara (her character is also a reporter). I would KILL to have some lines or even better, a recurring role! Anyway, I was instructed to call back on Tuesday to get the final info... that just seems so far off.... ugh. lol. 

On a different note, at my audition for Ping Pong Summer the other day, I caught myself judging the other actors. "Wow, her shorts are so short! You can see her bum!!" and "I can't believe she wore that to an audition!" Not all of it was bad though, I did compliment some of them in my mind: "Her dress is so cute, she's adorable." and "He looks like Kurt Hummel in Glee." But, I realized that, although I am competitive, judging another actor based on their appearance isn't going to help me get the part. It isn't going to stop them from possibly being amazing actors and just leaving the competition in the dust. And so, I'm going to do my utmost to stop judging and criticizing others - especially based on appearances. I have been so bad about it in the past. I mean, I know that I wouldn't judge or criticize another actor if it was Rachel McAdams or Robert Downey Jr or someone whom everybody knows. Because I'd be in awe. lol. But, I should do the same thing to other young actors. I should respect them and give them the benefit of the doubt - they may not dress professionally, but they still could be just as good as me if not better. 

So, at my upcoming audition on Saturday and then the shoot on Wednesday, I vow to do my best to not judge others and to be just as nice and kind inside my head as I am to people out loud. :P Well, I mean I vow to do that every day in every instance, but especially at auditions and shoots - being judgmental isn't going to help me or do me any favors. And I urge you all to do the same thing on an every day basis!!

That's all for now!
Thanks. 

~Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment