Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Ping Pong Summer Audition at Pat Moran Casting

So yesterday, I had my first "big" audition. Granted it's for an independent film, but it has Susan Sarandon and Amy Sedaris in it!
My new manager (woohoo!) Tom Townsend told me about this website (dragonukconnects.com) which has all of the major casting calls in this area. I found the one for Ping Pong Summer, submit myself, and they called me in for an audition! I found out less than 24 hours in advance, so the day that I got the call I stressed about what I was going to wear. Thank god for my mom and sisters (and dad on occasion) for helping me! The part I was auditioning for was a 16-17 year old teenage girl (circa 1985), whom after auditioning, I believe would be the lead character's sister. So, I was really worried I would not be able to make myself look 6 years younger than I am! Jeez I never thought I'd feel this old at not even 23. Haha.
I left early the next morning (not that 10:00 is early, but I mean I left early in that it takes 2.5 hours to get there, and I left 4 hours in advance). And I arrived in Baltimore almost 2 hours before my audition time was supposed to start. I grabbed some lunch at Qdoba (delish! First time in years actually) and then couldn't figure out where else to go so I went to the casting office, hoping I could find a bathroom in the building before I went in to their actual office to freshen up and maybe somewhere to sit for at least half an hour so I didn't look like a complete fool coming in an hour and a half early. No such luck. They had to buzz me in, and then there was nowhere to go but up the stairs and then the office. At least they let me wait in their waiting area and gave me the sides to study. I memorized them and then around 2:00, all at once a bunch of teens/young adults came in. Hard to judge some of their ages, but most of them were under 18 (could tell because their parents were with them) and then there were a couple who looked to be about my age or younger (no parents with them). And I was relieved to observe that not all of the female actors were up for the same role as me.
Being the first to arrive, I was the first called in to audition, and was a nervous wreck! It didn't go horribly though. We rehearsed the scene once, Pat Moran (casting director) told me I had "good instincts and good cadence/timing" but needed to "tone it down" a little. As I've always been taught, it's better to have them tell you to tone it down then to have them try and pump life into you. Much easier to get an actor to tone something down than to make it bigger. So I took that as a good thing! The second time through, they taped it. I fudged up one of the lines (dang it!) but not horribly so. I stayed in character and tried to fix it and keep going.
Once the scene was over (it was only about 10 lines long), Ms. Moran said to me, "That's all we need, thank you, good bye." Which threw me a little bit because I had been preparing to say something that my manager instructed me to say at the end of every audition. ("I really appreciate the chance to audition for you today. If given an opportunity, I promise I will work hard and will not let you down.") But I didn't feel as if there was an opening for it since she clearly had just told me to leave! lol. (not in a mean way, she was very nice but professional and extremely busy). So I just said, "Thank you for the opportunity." And left.
I was out of the office by 2:15 (and my original audition slot was 2:30). So I called my manager, grabbed some Starbucks, and drove the 2.5 hours home. Then ran 2.5 miles (it was a great stress reliever lol) and submit myself for more auditions.
Now, all that's left is to, firstly, no longer stress about it. Secondly, wait! I just pray for good news, as always. Cross your fingers for me! :D
Though this isn't related to the Ping Pong Summer audition, yesterday I also scheduled an audition for a local studio's commercial on Saturday and then today received a call from Central Casting asking me to work Friday in House of Cards (starring Kevin Spacey)! It's just as an extra, but I don't care! I'm just so excited! lol. Though the listing I responded to said "recurring/featured extras," so we'll see!
Keep checking back for more posts about my auditions and gigs. I'll try to update as frequently as possible.
Thanks!
~Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment