Thursday, August 23, 2012

Auditioning is expensive!!

Ugh. I've decided that I'm not going to audition for the Disneyland show - Minnie's Fly Girls. All week long I've been planning on doing it, but I just talked about it with my dad - who used to be a United pilot and has been helping me figure out flights - and I just can't afford it. Though he could get me a ticket at a much cheaper price (for some reason I thought it was free! But, unfortunately, it's not) I'd be reimbursing my parents for at least part of the cost of tickets, covering the hotel, parking at the airport, food, and possibly taxi or shuttle fees. And then, if I got called back, which would be awesome, I'd have to do it all over again the next week. So, after some rough calculations (my dad is the mathematician, not me), if I got called back, I'd be spending at least $800 total for this one audition. Not including any new shirt or shoes I wanted to wear to the audition or anything, or the cost of sheet music, or the voice lesson I was going to have with my old instructor, Marcia.
It's just too darned expensive. :(
But, Disney does have auditions fairly frequently, so, I'm hoping that when I get back to California, they'll have something I can audition for, and then I'll only have to pay for the cost of gas!
I do still have the chance to be a princess though... I applied to and received an email from a company that does events and children's parties. They have "character performers" who attend these events - such as princesses, pirates, super heroes, etc. They wanted me to come in for an audition/interview this week, I told them I would not be in California until September and they said they'd love to meet with me then. So, that's good. But I'm not 100% sure it's something I'd want to do. I'd have to be available weekends, for one thing. And I've always hated that with every job I've had. Especially since my husband works a fairly standard work week, if I worked both Saturday and Sunday, I'd never have a full day to spend with him. Well, I've got time to decide about that still.
I guess that's all for now. Not the most exciting or uplifting post, but, such is life. And I vowed to keep this blog real and honest so those reading it can see what life is really like for an "out-of-work actress." Though I shouldn't put it in quotes... since I really am an out-of-work actress. At least currently. lol.
Well, thanks for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment